These zero waste yoga mats & clothing are ideal alternatives to toxic PVC, which continues to pollute the earth, long after it has worn out. The philosophy of yoga is ‘ahimsa’ (which is Sanskrit for ‘do no harm’), So it’s ironic that so many yoga mats, blocks and clothing brands are made with polluting items (some companies even make leather yoga mats).
Most of these yoga mats are made from cork, an ideal material for yoga as it ‘grips’ when you sweat, to stop you sliding around. No trees are felled to make cork: the bark is just stripped from the trees. In fact, its use is helping to keep the cork industry alive, in a world of plastic wine corks. And if forests are used sustainably – developers are less likely to move in, and chop them down to build things. Choose some of these eco-friendly yoga alternatives:
For clothing made from recycled plastic bottles, wash in a Guppyfriend (a bag that stops microplastics escaping from the machine, into the oceans).
- Cork Yogis makes luxury cork yoga mats, with profits helping to support Indian women with literacy and sewing courses. The same company sells cork yoga blocks, which give better alignment in forward and side bends (the round edge helps to give extra height in postures).
- Cork Space also offers a nice range of cork yoga mats (with a natural rubber base). The strap it’s delivered with doubles as a stretch band. Good for yin yoga or pregnancy yoga (consult with a qualified instructor).
- Form Yoga offers beautiful zero waste yoga mats, with 3 layers for alignment, and made carbon neutral. The recycled bottle mats can be recycled on, and the biodegradable ones return to the earth – along with the cardboard packaging.
- Upward Salute offers eco-friendly yoga mats that are naturally anti-bacterial, with non-slip surface. This company also offers beautiful yoga leggings, made from recycled plastic bottles.
- Kati Kaia offers rubber yoga mats, with a vegan suede top (made from recycled plastic bottles). They are machine-washable, with unique artwork (printed with ecological water-based inks).
- Moara Yoga Mat is a made with premium cork, delivered in a tube that is easy to recycle. The packaging inside contains a free black carrier strap, which doubles as a stretch belt.
- Planet Warrior makes bright fun designs for eco-active wear (including for yoga) from recycled plastic bottles. An ideal way to use up waste that would otherwise go to landfill.
- Tokoru Yoga Blocks are made from recycled wine corks. Blocks are useful to help you get into poses, and often used in Iyengar and Restorative Yoga.
- Perky Peach is an activewear brand that offers items made from bamboo and recycled plastic, to take you from a morning yoga class to a coffee catch-up.