Zero waste natural toothpastes are better for the planet, and for you. The best way to look after your teeth is simply to eat less sugar (and drink less soda, including diet), eat well, brush your teeth and visit the dentist for regular check-ups. Use these toothpastes with a zero waste toothbrush.
Holistic dentists usually don’t recommend fluoride (unless applied topically for certain conditions) as too much causes mottled teeth and sometimes bone cancer (a tiny amount can kill a child). It’s usually made from phosphate fertiliser (recycled in your mouth for profit). Ireland has adding fluoride to water for decades, with no effect. Read Holistic Dental Care and It’s All In Your Mouth.
Avoid essential oils for pregnancy/nursing. If you live with pets, avoid toothpastes containing xylitol. Just them licking around your mouth or the sink could be lethal (it appeals as it’s a sweetener, added to foods & gum). Good natural toothpastes use natural sweeteners like fruit or stevia.
For now it’s best to avoid eucalyptus, as rainforest charities report that since the Aussie wildfires, koalas need all the eucalyptus they can get, while new trees are planted (some are killed during harvesting, turning into an issue with similar issues to palm oil and orangutans).
- Georganics is sold in little glass jars (with bamboo spatulas). It also offers tooth soap (use with a wet toothbrush) and tooth powder. Choose from Peppermint, Spearmint, Tea Tree & Orange, and Activated Charcoal (whitening). Their gum is not xylitol-free.
- Young children don’t need toothpaste, check with your dentist on when to start. Georganics Orange Toothpaste is good. Or to avoid glass jars for young children, Green People has fruity flavours (recycle the plastic tube)
Alternatives to Toxic Mouthwash
Most mouthwash is made with chemicals that can cause irritation or mouth cancer (and many also have pet-toxic xylitol.
- A stainless steel tongue scraper can remove ‘ama’ from the back of the tongue, without stimulating the ‘gag reflex’. Those who practice Ayurveda think we disgusting, for eating breakfast without doing this first.
- Mouthwash tablets are dissolved in 200ml of water (ideal for travel). Choose from Georganics (Wild Thyme, Spearmint, Tea Tree, Orange, Activated Charcoal), or Brushd (English Peppermint, Orange, Lemon).
- Georganics Oil-Pulling Mouthwash is sold in tins, with organic coconut & essential oils. Choose from English peppermint, spearmint, tea tree, red mandarin. Be careful with activated charcoal version, it’s so good to whiten teeth, that some people who remove braces, end up with ‘two-tone teeth!’
Biodegradable Dental Floss
If your teeth are very close together, you may not be good using floss, as it could lacerate your gums (just have your hygienist clean between your teeth every 6 months). If you use it, choose biodegradable brands that are from nylon (also avoid silk and beeswax, and use these plant-based versions instead). Even if biodegradable, never leave out any king of string/ribbon for birds’ nests, as it can choke or harm: just compost or bin.