Zero waste men’s grooming products is a big industry. Less is more, just a few ethical items will do. Kind men are more handsome! A proper bar of handmade soap is enough for most men, and these brands have been chosen to be biodegradable and care taken to find companies that guarantee coconuts are not harvested by slave monkeys (who are sent up trees, check for updates).
Avoid essential oils if you have medical conditions like epilepsy or asthma. Avoid shea butter, if you have a latex allergy.
- Beauty Kubes Shampoo & Body Wash contains 27 cubes that you mix with water, no packaging. Just crumble a cube in your hand, then add a couple of drops of water to make a paste.
- Keep your locks in order with a zero waste bamboo comb.
- No Gunk is a natural styling wax made with Moroccan Lava clay in a metal tin. It offers a matte finish, with no sticky residue. Includes shea butter.
- The Natural Barber Co Matte Styling Wax can also be used for your hair or beard.
Shaving & Natural Beard Care
Reusable razors are heavier, so glide in the direction of hair, letting the blade do the work. Place used blades in a blade bank (pop the can and blades in the recycling bin, you can use a tin can with a slit, as an alternative). Disposable plastic razors cause widespread pollution and are dangerous at landfill (if you use them, send all brands back to Gillette who turn the plastic & metal into park benches and alloys).
- Shoreline Shaving’s Razor with Hessian Travel Bag features a solid metal handle and stainless head to fit double-edge blades. In 4 colours, the kit includes 5 blades and they also make Shaving Kits that include razors and a choice of a hessian storage bag or bar of shaving soap.
- Upcircle Beauty Safety Razor is made from chrome and includes 2 blades. Just unscrew the handle from the two-part head and insert the blade.
- Acala Bamboo Safety Razor is a stylish double-edge razor with sturdy bamboo handle, delivered in recycled paper. It fits all double-edge blades.
- Norse Stainless Steel Safety Razor (Sheffield) is made with steel, brass and chrome (includes 5 blades). The Shaving Gift Set includes a double-edged safety razor, vegan shaving brush and beautiful stand. Just unscrew the head and insert a blade, then warm under hot water. When the blade becomes blunt, it will ‘hang’ on the stubble (rotate the razor to change the blade).
- Pure Spruce Vegan Shaving Brush (also as travel brush), Haeckel & Wild Sage all help protect badgers and boards. Run the brush under the tap and shake off excess warm water, then run bristles over shaving soap. Lather in circular motions, rinse in cold water, separate bristles, squeeze excess water and air-dry upside-down. Use with Organic Shave Bar.
- Paper Plane Beard Shampoo Bar (Rutland) create a smooth lather and is scented with lavender and orange. To stop soap going squidgy, use a slatted soap dish.
Around 20% of men in England have full beards, more have short beards or stubble. Beards block 95% of UV rays, but use natural sunscreen on the rest of your face. It 2 to 4 months to grow a beard (or 6 years for a ZZ Top beard). In Victorian times, beards were prescribed as ‘medicine’ to prevent harmful particles entering the mouth. They do eliminate irritated skin and acne for many.
- Balade en Provence (for men) offers a nice line of zero waste products sent from France (quick and easy shipping). The range includes a citrus-scented all-in-one Pour Homme bar (use as a soap, shampoo or shaving bar), a solid shampoo bar (with coconut, grapeseed and canola oil with shea butter), a men’s shaving soap and a calming post-shaving nourishing balm (made with apricot kernel oil).
- Balade en Provence All-in-1 Pour Homme can be used as a face and body wash, natural shampoo and shaving bar. Certified organic, it’s enriched with coconut oil and shea butter, with an invigorating citrus scent. Sent from France (quick and cheap shipping).