These zero waste deodorants that work are a far cry from the ‘scented water’ natural deodorants that used to be sold. They use modern combinations like activated charcoal to absorb odours, and yet are free from aluminium, artificial scents and sold in zero waste packaging. They are also all vegan-friendly, biodegradable and free from palm oil. Avoid essential oils for pregnancy, nursing and allergies, and avoid shea butter for latex allergies (avoid bicarb of soda for sensitive skin).
Sweat is a natural way to get rid of toxins, and so anti-perspirants are not good, as they stop this happening. Natural ways to prevent body odour include drinking more water, eating a clean diet and wearing breathable fabrics after your shower (like organic cotton or hemp).
- Purechimp Deodorant is packed in a glass jar, and donates 5% of profits to Save the Chimps, a charity that rescues apes from zoos, circuses and vivisection labs.
- Reconnection Skincare Natural Deodorants are sold in a tin, and made with peppermint tea tree, cedarwood lemon, geranium mandarin and spearmint grapefruit.
- Blushberry Botanicals is made with bicarbonate of soda, arrowroot and calamine, to absorb and neutralise odours without aluminium. It contains organic coconut oil, sunflower oil and shea butter. In unscented or several scents with oils (peppermint tea tree, lime black pepper, cypress lemon cedarwood or rose geranium and patchouli.
- Your Nature (Bristol) makes natural deodorants, housed in cardboard tubes. Made with a blend of organic coconut oil, shea butter and candelilla wax, scented with essential oils.
- Elsa’s Zero Waste Deodorant Creme comes packaged in a metal tin. Unlike plastic deodorants that contain aluminium (not good near your lymph nodes), this is made with natural ingredients and real essential oils Choose from peppermint & tea tree, lemon ice, or sweet clementine.
- Pit Putty is a tub of natural deodorant that works. It’s made with arrowroot & bicarbonate of soda, and is sold in eco-friendly tins. In rose geranium, lavender lemon, cinnamon cedarwood and tea tree lemongrass (not for high blood pressure).