England is fortunate in that we have 4 beautiful seasons (we actually have more, but that’s for another day). So rather than be unhappy when there is a cold winter’s day, get creative and think of all the wonderful things you can do, to appreciate this lovely season. Winter is the time when we get the least daylight. But at least we get some. In Scandinavia, some people have developed ‘reindeer vision’ to see in the dark, because at certain times, they get no daylight at all.
Did you know that those winter snow globes contain toxic antifreeze? If they smash, they could be lethal to pets and harmful to children. Bin responsibly, and don’t buy them. For recipes, see foods to avoid near pets.
Things to Do in Winter
- Go for a nice winter’s walk. See keeping safe in snow & ice, so you don’t fall over or slip.
- See the post on where to find a sustainable winter coat.
- Sit by a real fire in a local pub and snuggle
- Read a nice book (by the fire, see below for suggestions)
- Enjoy a glass of mulled wine or spiced cider
- Bake a homemade pot pie (with palm-oil-free vegan butter)
- Or make a homemade vegan shepherd’s pie
- Or make a fruit pie with warm vegan custard
- Have a warm bath, with biodegradable essential oils
- Drink a homemade vegan eggnog
- Make some hot chocolate (with vegan marshmallows)
- Knit a cosy winter hat & scarf
- Watch It’s a Wonderful Life
- Make some gingerbread cookies
- Make some homemade soup
- Roast a pan of winter vegetables