Fed up with life? Even if you are 40, 50 or 60, it’s worth learning something new. If you are bored in your job, struggling to make ends meet or simply want to study something, it’s never too late. Say you are 55 and hate your job and earn little money for long hours. Assuming you may work until you are 65 or beyond, that’s 10 years. So is it not worth spending 2 years training in something else, so then you have 8 years of a more pleasant life? You could go from answering phones in a call centre or being treated poorly in a dead-end job, to being a home-based book-keeper, a massage therapist, a teacher/tutor or running a successful little business.
- Start local. Many colleges offer part-time or evening classes, often at good value or even free, if you are on benefits.
- Learndirect is an excellent place to start. Again it offers in-person or online classes, at very affordable rates, and many end up with real qualifications. It has lots of social & health care courses (the NHS has thousands of job vacancies they can’t fill, so qualifying in one of these short courses is a good way to get in the door.
- Embrace Learning offers nationally accredited online learning courses, including Food Hygiene & Safety, First Aid (elsewhere online, you can take courses for pet first aid – some are free), Data Protection, Infection Control, Fire Safety, Equality & Diversity & Working at Height. The courses start from £20.
- Udemy offers hundreds of affordable online courses, from beauty care to creative courses to computer coding (if you would like to work in computers from home, take courses at Treehouse (many graduates go from earning nothing to getting a home-based virtual job, with good income if you have a techy brain).
- If you are a blogger, there are lots of affordable online courses you can take, to help you write, create, design and earn money from your website or blog. These courses can also help you to set up a nice online shop, to add to your physical business, if it helps.
- CreativeLive & Teachable both offer good courses from experts worldwide.
Want to Teach Others?
If you are blessed with a set of skills and no income, why not launch your own course online? Especially in these days of social distancing, it’s a little business idea waiting to happen for you. There are some good platforms you can try out:
- LearnDash (a WordPress plugin)
Words on Learning
If you think education is expensive; try estimating the cost of ignorance. Howard Gardener
I realised that becoming a master of Karate, was not about learning 4,000 moves. But about doing just a handful of moves 4,000 times. Chet Holmes
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading; you can only think what everyone else is thinking. Haruki Murakami