Vegan ‘beef’ is enjoyed by many these days, as people have concerns over factory farming, climate change, rainforests and health. For those that eat free-range beef, everyone else eating plant-based versions is better for all, as there is not enough land to go round for everyone to eat free-range anyway. These plant-based versions have no palm oil and zero cholesterol. Most of them are in zero waste packaging (you can recycle any plastic inner packaging in supermarket bag bins).
Did you know that 300,000 beef cattle are killed each year, just to make burgers for fast food chains? Did you know that the town of Tavistock (Devon) became the first to see off McDonald’s? The local food was so good that the chain could not compete.
Don’t give leftovers of these foods to pet, as many contain pet-toxic ingredients (soy, garlic, onion, salt, avocado, mushrooms). If you eat real meat, don’t feed cooked bones, can cause choking. These brands are mostly zero waste, recycle any plastic in supermarket bins.
- Sgaia Smoky Vegan Steak is a gourmet item made by a couple of Italians who live in Scotland. Made with ‘wheat meat’, this is seasoned with pure liquid beech wood smoke, perfect drizzled with BBQ sauce and griddled. Their Hot Chilli Steak is good to spice up fajitas, stir-fries and burritos, and perfect served with vegan sour cream.
- Bonsan Shredded Jackfruit (also in smoky) is made from an Asian fruit that tastes like meat, when cooked! Ideal for tacos, fajitas, burgers.
- Bonsan Organic Kofu Steak is made from fermented kombucha cultured tofu. Rich in protein, it’s good with homemade sweet potato chips, or a fresh garden salad.
- Meatless Farm Mince cooks up like normal mince, ideal to use in chilli, spaghetti bolognese and lasagne. Also makes burgers and sausages. Sold in supermarkets.
- Tera Vegane No Beef Steaks are organic and handmade in Berlin. Made from chickpeas, oats and wheat protein. There is also a Not Ham Steak.
- Vegusto Vegan Schnitzel Steak is a Swiss-made steak with ground-coarse pepper, a gourmet treat.
- Eat Wholesome Jackfruit is made with sustainable ingredients that are marinated in herbs, spices and coconut, and are all organic.