Recycled wedding rings are made from recycled gold, silver and other metals, which requires no new mining of the earth. Any metals used also come from Fairly Trade sources to avoid unethical practices. And engagement stones are from alternative sources to ‘blood diamonds’, where profits fund civil war.
The most ethical wedding rings are made with recycled metals (there is enough leftover gold in the world, to last for all eternity). You can also buy gem stones from recycled sources, or made in a lab (as opposed to drilled from the ground). Also look for brands that are made with seaglass (made from old bottles that have washed smooth in the sea over hundreds of years, and are then collected at the coastline). Your wedding ring made well be made from an old pirate’s bottle! Finally, search for brands that are sold in zero-waste packaging.
Where To Find Recycled Wedding Rings
- Jacqueline & Edward (Yorkshire) is a family business that creates stunning handmade wedding rings for ethically-minded people. These rings are enhanced by natural river gold, that is gifted from a family collection acquired using sustainable methods by a geologist and chartered environmentalist. You can buy online at Not on the High Street.
- Myia Bonner (London) is an award-winning jewellery designer, who designs striking contemporary pieces mostly using recycled gold and silver. Her signature graphic precision, geometric style and playful approach re-interprets traditions within her craft, for a modern audience. This two-tone wedding ring is made from recycled 9ct yellow and white gold, in a high-polished or brushed finish. Domed inside, for comfort.
- The Natural Wedding Company lists small ethical companies producing recycled and ethically-made wedding rings. All these jewellers source Fair Trade gold and silver, recycled precious metals and sustainably-sourced gems. You’ll also find engagement rings made with eco-friendly diamonds.
- Kerstin Laibach not only ensures all wedding rings are made from sustainable methods, but also donates 15% of profits to wildlife conservation. All the rings are guaranteed vegan-friendly, including workshop tools.
- Eco Wood Rings offers a collection of pre-designed and custom rings. They work with a wide variety of sustainable woods, including many from salvaged woods.
- Glasswing offers beautiful wedding and engagement rings. These are made from recycled metals and seaglass, washed from old bottles that have sailed the waves for hundreds of years to become smoothed by the water. Pay off the karma of a sailor who tossed a beer bottle overboard many years ago!