This post shows you where to find organic hoodies. Hoodies and sweatshirts are those kinds of clothes that you like to throw on, to go for a walk, lounge around the house or take time out. But conventional hoodies and sweatshirts sold in shops tend to be made in sweatshops. These are not the most expensive items of clothing (and there are always sales bargains to had). So here are some more ethical alternatives, when the ones you are wearing run out of steam. .
Do you know how the hoodie originated? The first one was made back in the 1930s, and were originally devised to add a hood to sweatshirts, to enable workers to keep warm in the bitter cold winters of Upstate New York. If washing items made with recycled polyester, use a Guppyfriend (which will collect the synthetic fibres, so you can bin them after washing) to stop non-biodegradable pieces of plastic travelling from the machine to the sea.
- Morcant is an ethical fashion label from Sheffield which makes lovely hoodies (above) for either sex, in organic cotton and recycled polyester (from plastic bottles) with signature ‘Sea Wolf’ branding, a brushed inner and relaxed silhouette. Made to FairWear standards, which goes further than Fair Trade, ensuring everyone in the supply chain is treated well. The company name is Welsh for ‘sea circle.
- ETHCS sells nice fuss-free clothing in organic cotton, with plain packaging to keep things affordable. 40% of profits go to vegan campaigns. You can also sell or trade used items back to them, to get discounts on future clothing. Think hoodies, sweatshirts, t-shirts and baseball caps.
- Origin Africa’s Organic Sweatshirt is for men or women, made in a wind-powered factory and printed with water-based organic dyes. Produced from ‘dead stock’ from the previous year’s collection. All profits fund Africa-based social enterprise projects.
- This Love Heart Sweatshirt is ideal for a more feminine style. Made in the UK, it is made from combed organic cotton with a bright pink heart on the front, and a SALT logo with diamanté SALT insignia on back.
- Rapanui Clothing (Isle if Wight) is an organic t-shirt company set up by two unemployed friends, and it offers lots of nice men’s hoodies & sweatshirts, and also for women, all made from organic cotton. As you can imagine from the location, these are real ‘surfer-style’ designs, ideal to pop on, after a day on the waves. Even the thick jumpers are made from organic cotton.