Where to find better newspapers is often a case of having to search online. Some people prefer not to read any news at all, but most of us like to keep informed, without giving ourselves a breakdown. In England, most newspapers are owned by a few people, who have huge political biases. The job of a newspaper is to inform (not scare), tell the truth and let people decide themselves how to vote.
All these newspapers are independently owned, and supported by subscription or a few carefully placed ads. Some are paper and others are digital. It matters, because we are a climate emergency, global pandemic, crime and health – all affected by what people believe. The religious channel TBN (Trump supporters) recently reported that Mike Pompeo was disappointed as he was ‘too busy’ to meet the Pope on a recent Italian trip. In truth, the Pope refused to see him, saying that Trump could not be a Christian as he ‘built walls, not bridges’. Millions of people are told lies, through ‘news’.
- Byline Times is a monthly print or online paper, run by dedicated journalist for in-depth articles on what the papers don’t say. There are no PR companies or press barons, everything is authentic.
- The Canary in an independent news website with no financial backing or outside investment, read by millions. Again it’s free from bias and offers quality journalism to hold power to account.
- Double Down News is an online video news channel, with the ethos on creating a better world for all. This puts ideas, evidence and community above ego, personality and moral superiority.
- The Article offers free fair journalism with no paywall and no abuse or morbid images. Entertaining exchanges and civilised conversation are promised. This is proper news that’s free for everyone.
- EuroNews does focus on the EU, but it’s better than our TV news. It has in-depth interviews and an effective 3-minute No Comment feature at the top of each hour.
Read a Happier Newspaper
These are very popular, and offer news that focuses on all the good that is happening around the world. Just 5 minutes with one of these papers, and you’ll feel more hopeful.
- The Happy Newspaper is a gorgeous publication run from ‘the smallest office in the world’, and gives reports on those who are doing incredible things in all corners of the planet. A refreshing twist, to report on positive changes and truly inspiring people. Founder Emily has authored the book You Are Incredible Just As You Are. On the other side of the pond, The Goodnewspaper is similar, to double-dose on happy news.
- Positive News is a newspaper that you can subscribe to online (some health shops and cafes stock it to read with your cuppa), and it also has a magazine published a few times a year. This is a community benefit program where the paper is owned by over 1500 people in 33 countries (ages 18 to 89) who all have equal influence.
- The Happy Broadcast is a fab little website where an Italian cartoonist puts his positive spin on the daily news. He found he was becoming ill from all the bad stories, and wanted to do something, to make a difference. You’ll feel better after visiting here.