Artisan vegan cheese is far nicer in taste and texture than those greasy coconut oil cheeses you find in supermarkets. Proper vegan cheese is usually made with nuts, although you can also add nutritional yeast powder (with vitamin B12) to add a cheesy flavour to mashed potatoes.
As these cheeses are made from nuts (often macadamia nuts) and spices, keep them away from pets and young children. Use a letterbox guard for online orders.
- Kinda Co (London) was founded by a lifelong cheese addict, who ditched dairy and needed to come up with something else. After kitchen experimenting, the range was launched and is now sold in markets and indie stores nationwide. The range (mostly sold in glass jars) includes Italian, Greek, Smoked Farmhouse, Smoked Gouda, Nacho Dip, Dill Cream Cheese and Mozzarellie.
- I Am Nut OK (Hackney, London) offers a range of artisan vegan cheeses, created by a cheese-loving American/Italian couple. These ‘not cheeses’ are wrapped in paper insulation and repurposed bubble wrap, the spreads are in glass jars and the Nozzarella uses plastic-free vacuum-sealed pouch. Includes Smoky Charcoal, Black Truffle, Italian Herb, Black Pepper Log, Ricotta in Garlic Oil and Oh, Grate! (alternative to Parmesan).
- Tyne Chease is as the name suggests, made on Tyneside. This gourmet cheese is worthy of any classic cheese and wine party, made to authentic cultured and matured recipes, inspired by traditions going back thousands of years. The flavours include Cashew Truffle, Smoked, Provencal, Applewood and Ethiopian.
- Mouse’s Favourite is sold in plastic-free packaging. The founder grew up in Jersey which is known for its creamy milk, so she is expert at creating cheeses that taste like the real thing. Ideal with a glass of wine, fresh crusty bread and chutney, the range includes Aged Dulse, Camembert, CamBlue, True Blue and Beer-Washed Rind.
- New Roots (Switzerland) is a lovely range of mostly cream cheeses. This company was founded by a couple after he (a racing biker) got injured, and they needed another source of income. The range includes Ricotta, Garlic Herb, Greek, Herbes de Provence and Soft Camembert.