The best sustainable fashion brands are plant-based (organic cotton, hemp, linen, bamboo) and sent in zero-waste packaging. Avoid fabrics made from animals (fur, leather, wool, silk, shearling). These fashion brands are some of the best in England, and last much longer. They naturally biodegrade too.
Many of these brands are sold at WEARTH London, a wonderful online marketplace where everything is plant-based, zero waste and ethically-made where you can earn loyalty points to redeem against future orders.
If you choose clothing made from upcycled synthetics (nylon, polyester, rayon, recycled plastic bottles), wash items in a Guppyfriend, to stop plastic microfibres escaping the washing machine, going into the sea).
Organic Fashion Brands
- Cariki (London) is a streetwear brand that is pushing sustainable fashion into the 21st century. Combining bold new trends with responsible fabrics, these clothes are made for the raver and the change-maker. The above tee is made from premium organic cotton.
- ETHCS is a simple affordable ethical clothing brand. Everything is vegan, organic and Fair Wear certified, with 40% of profits going to animal charities. You can send them back used items for credit against future items, and these clothes are then sold at a lower price to people on a budget. Leftover stock is made into reusable face masks (not for medical use).
- Morcant (Sheffield) offers gender-neutral essentials that make everyday clothing from quality premium fabrics. All designs are inspired by nature, featuring environmentally-progress fabrics at an affordable price. Everything is certified eco-friendly, and ethically made in Bangladesh.
- Veryan (London) is a brand founded by designer Veryan Raiker, featuring a selection of sustainable womenswear that combines timeless style with long-lasting quality. Items are made at the in-house London studio.
- Zola Amour (Sussex) is an ethical fashion label that offers handmade fashion in organic hemp & organic cotton. This fashion designer created a new brand, after seeing first-hand the damage within the fast fashion industry. She designs the clothes, then everything’s made to order by her mum!
The Best Upcycled Fashion Brands
- Before July is a slow fashion brand that uses up discarded materials, to create new clothes, to help discard the ‘throwaway society’. Founded by designer Elisa Jaycott, you can find 1 to 2 collections per year, everything is handmade to order, to reduce waste.
- Blonde Gone Rogue (London) offers upcycled clothing for urban women. Items are made with organic or upcycled fabrics, made responsibly in Bulgaria to ensure fair working practices.
- Hide the Label (London) is a sustainable fashion brand founded by siblings. These consciously designed vivid prints are made with plant-derived and recycled fibres, suitable for each season.
Zola Amour is a beautiful slow fashion label from Brighton. Designer Emily witnessed first-hand the devastating impacts that the fast fashion industry caused, and decided to do something about it. All her clothing is made to the highest standards, from premium organic fabrics. Local producers are also supported, with 80% of the fabrics knitted in the UK. Each item is handmade to order, to ensure no waste.
This organic cotton crew neck long-sleeve t-shirt has a subtle contrast cuff, that can be folded down. Ideal for our seasonal weather, you can layer it up for colder weather. In various colour combinations.
Keep cosy in winter weather with this grandad-style fleece cardigan, made from organic cotton. Thick enough to be worn as a jacket, it features handy pockets, a beautiful contrast cuff and British-made olive wood buttons. In classic black, light or dark grey or multi.
For warmer months, this organic cotton t-shirt dress is ideal for outdoor nights. With pockets.