The best brands of pasta sauce are surely not what you find in most supermarkets. Not only are most tasteless (not many tomatoes) and often don’t have any protein element, but now many are starting to pack them in plastic pouches, which is even worse.
Of course it’s good to make your own from scratch, but most of us don’t. So here are better brands that you’ll find in health stores, farm shops or order online. Don’t let pets have leftover spaghetti bolognese, as these contain pet-toxic ingredients like onion, garlic, and other flavourings.
- Mr Organic Seitan Pasta Sauce is ideal for non-cooks who are fed up of eating tasteless bowls of spaghetti with tomato sauce, and missing out on plant protein. Mr Organic has done it all for you. This pasta sauce is brimming with sun-ripened Italian tomatoes (78%, far more than most brands) and organic seasonings. Plus there is a little crushed chilli in there for some heat. . What makes this sauce different is that it contains seitan (a protein-rich ‘wheat meat’) so now with some fresh veggies, it makes a complete meal. Find in indie health stores or buy online.
- Seggiano Marinara Sauce is made in Sicily, a classic recipe with a generous amount of fresh garlic. This chunky sauce is made with naturally sun-sweetened Italian tomatoes and extra virgin olive oil. Also in basil, puttanesca (spicy) and arrabbiata.,
- Les Moulins Mahjoub is a rich sauce without added water, from vegetables and oils, artichokes and lemon juice or with black olives..
- Prima Italia Vegetable Bolognese with organic tomatoes, celery and carrot and also with 25% rehydrated soy, for protein. Packed in the Emilia-Romagna region, known as the home of bolognese.
- Sacla sells a really nice vegan bolognese sauce, made with pea protein, also in a vegan cheesy sauce. Both sold in supermarkets, these are nice with tagliatelle sauce.
For children, Little Pasta Organic is a brand of organic Italian food, see jars for age ranges (some from 9 months plus). The range includes Asparagus Pasta Sauce (with peas, broad beans & mint), Pumpkin & Carrot (with onions & spices) and Spinach & Broccoli.