The best brands of organic cola are far superior to the main brands. A can of standard coke contains 16 teaspoons of refined sugar, which is a risk to your kidneys (and the caramel used to colour many brands is linked to cancer). Some cans even contain flame retardant and ammonia, to make the caffeine, The two main brands have ethical issues (one funds cruel rodeos and factory dairy farms, the other is the world’s biggest user of palm oil).
These natural sodas are ideal alternatives, all locally made from real ingredients: ask for them in farm shops and cafes, or buy online. Avoid caffeine for pregnancy/nursing, Keep caffeine away from pets/children.
Natural Traditional Colas
- Square Root Cola (East London) is made using lemon & lime juice (freshly pressed in-house), raw cane sugar and organic essential oils. Its take on the classic cola is rich, distinctive and totally caffeine-free! It’s produced and bottled from scratch, with zero artificial additives and low sugar content.
- Fentimans Curiosity Cola (Northumberland) is made to an ancient botanical recipe, infused with cinnamon. Sold in glass bottles or cans. The cherry cola is made with sweet & sour cherries.
- Gusto Organic Real Cola is made with organic Fair Trade blue agave and erythritol and organic spices and oils, along with African kola nut and Devon spring water. Every bottle improves the lives of local farmers. Naturally Slim Cola is sweetened with stevia, rather than sugar.
- Whole Earth Sparkling Cola is sold in cans, you’ll often find them in the fridge of indie health shops. This features a hint of lemon.
- Karma Cola is made to an original recipe that contains Fair Trade organic cane sugar and real cola nut, grown by the Mende and Temne people of Sierra Leona. Proceeds help go to the growers’ families. With vanilla, nutmeg, coriander, lime, and cinnamon.
- Franklin & Sons Cola is inspired by ancient Victorian recipes. Featuring British sugar beet and real fruit juice, it’s spicy sweetness comes from 12 herbs and spices, balanced by vanilla, coffee beans and African kola nut.
- Lovely Drinks offers a nice cola made with hand-blended botanicals of orange, lime, cinnamon, lemon, nutmeg, coriander, neroli and lavender, and coloured with burnt sugar. Also sells sour cherry cola.
Herby Natural Colas
- Now Black Cola Organic is made with natural caffeine from the red fruits of Lianas and shrubs, and the natural power of guarana fruit. With a fresh light taste, this is good added to alcohol-free spirits.
- Lo Bros Organic Kombucha Cola is made with kombucha (like a healthy fizzy tea) and raw apple cider vinegar. Inspired by a 1878 recipe, this is infused with botanical spice and citrus extract, for a delicious herby refreshing drink. A classic cola taste, with millions of gut-loving bio-cultures.