If you take your own reusable cutlery, you help to cut down on plastic cutlery that litters land and sea. Often give away with takeaway food, plastic cutlery (including knives that cut) harm birds, wildlife and marine creatures. The charity 5Gyres says that plastic cutlery is the 7th most common plastic item found on beach clean-ups.
Plastic cutlery is a $2 billion global business, with the world’s top firm selling millions of items per month, just in the USA. Just one (Portuguese) airline has removed plastic cutlery from their food and drinks services. We are way behind France, which is already banning disposable cutlery.
We can’t wait for stores to act. Pret a Manger introduced a ban on plastic cutlery in their sandwich shops because ‘they cared for the planet’. But with a consumer backlash, they re-installed it. Friends of the Earth note that when companies are purely driven by profit, legislation is needed.
- Leave No Trace Bamboo Cutlery Set is part of the Gift Set for the Eco Warrior (which includes a vegan leather snack pouch and zero waste food wrap. Bamboo is the world’s fastest-growing grass (industrial bamboo is not taken from panda habitats). It’s also naturally anti-bacterial. However it doesn’t like water. So don’t leave your bamboo cutlery steeped in the sink.
- Shlurple (made from leftover wheat harvest stalks) includes a collapsible spoon, fork and chopsticks, which all fit neatly into the box, which is also made from easy-to-recycle wheat composite. In pink or green. Also sold as a combo with a biodegradable reusable straw.
- Green Island Cutlery Set includes a bamboo knife, fork, spoon, chopsticks and straw, with a coconut shell straw cleaner. At end of use, everything (including the organic cotton pouch) can be composted.
- GoBambu Reusable Cutlery Set includes a fork, knife, spoon, straw, straw cleaner and set of chopsticks, packaged in a secure organic cotton pouch. Full-size, this kit is lightweight, so ideal for travel.
- Jennie’s Bamboo Cutlery Wrap Set is made from cotton/linen and includes a bamboo fork, knife, spoon, teaspoon, and stainless steel straw with cleaner. Do not use stainless steel straws on the move (nor for children as they are not flexible, so could injury. Also as a smaller cutlery pouch.
Yuggen Bamboo Cutlery Set is portable and lightweight, made from sustainably-sourced bamboo which is naturally anti-bacterial. The set includes a knife, fork and spoon, bamboo chopsticks and a coconut shell straw cleaner. It’s suitable for planes (including the knife).