To switch to recycled bathroom tissue, is one of the best ways you can help to save the world’s beautiful forests. It is ironic that one major brand uses a koala bear to advertise its products, yet environmental organisations have been asking them and other brands to stop using Boreal forests, to source the wood. Endangered creatures the world over are suffering, due to a constant barrage of deforestation. There are some alternatives (if you really want to think out of the box) listed below. But for most people, conventional toilet paper is what’s wanted. And there are some solutions. It does involve mostly ordering in bulk online for home delivery. But seeing as what happened with Coronavirus, this may not be a bad thing, so you know you are stocked up at home.
What’s Wrong With Toilet Paper?
Most toilet paper is made from virgin paper, meaning it comes from trees. So the trees are grown in their millions, usually in ‘sustainable forests’. This means usually that old growth trees (that support native wildlife) are chopped down to produce fast-growing trees (using lots of pesticides) that support little wildlife. They are then harvested, and the whole process begins again. In worse cases, old growth forests are chopped down.
Brands of Recycled Toilet Paper
Fortunately, there are quite a few brands now that make toilet paper from recycled paper. You can buy recycled paper in supermarkets, but it tends to be poor quality (scratchy on your tushie) and sold in plastic wrap (you can just leave this in the supermarket bag recycling bins, and take the toilet paper home). But there are better alternatives:
- Who Gives a Crap? is a global brand that offers bamboo toilet paper. Bamboo is the world’s fastest-growing grass, and industrial bamboo is no taken from panda habitats. It’s much nicer to use than wood, and far softer on your bum. The company does also sell a recycled paper version that is cheaper. Both are sent in bulk in plastic-free packaging, and profits help to bring sanitation to developing countries.
- Serious Tissues is made from recycled paper. Until recently all profits went to planting trees. That will still happen later on. But for now, profits go to the NHS.
- BumBoo and The Cheeky Panda are two good brands of bamboo paper in plastic-free packaging (the latter also sells biodegradable wipes).
- SUMA is another brand, this is from a wholesaler. So although you can’t buy it online, health stores and other independent shops can buy it, to sell in shops. These are also ideal for public bathrooms, schools etc.
Alternatives to Toilet Paper
- Cheeky Wipes sells reusable toilet paper. Use them for when you pee, keep them in the enclosed tub, then throw in the laundry.
- BumGun is a portable device that costs around £60 and comes with a guarantee. An alternative to a bidet.
- Sonny is the world’s first handheld bidet. It needs no installation or plumbing and is an advanced design to give different pressures. CuloClean is a portable bidet that you use with a plastic bottle (just one purchase means you can feel as fresh as you’ve showered, and it’s better than all the water wasted from making disposable toilet paper). After use, just use a few sheets of bathroom tissue to dry yourself.
How to Stop Blocked Drains
Most blocked drains are caused by thick toilet paper (not just flushed cotton buds, tampons and condoms). Thick luxury toilet paper does the most damage, as it can be difficult to flush away. So try to not use it, and stick to quality toilet paper.
One way to help is to eat better. Not to get too icky. But if you eat crap and drink too much alcohol, you are going to be on the toilet a lot more. Natural nutritionist Joy McCarthy says that if you are filling up the toilet cistern on a regular basis, something has gone wrong with your diet. Hold your nose, here we go:
- Skid marks are caused by too much dairy and/or wheat gluten. Replace with fibre-rich plant-based alternatives.
- Smelly poop is usually caused by meat (acid). It can sometimes be a more serious condition like Chrohn’s. Again, less meat and more natural plant foods is the answer.
- Rabbit poop that plops (!) is usually from dehydration (so drink water?) and eating too much white refined food. Switch to brown rice, brown bread, brown pasta etc.
- Race Car Poop (it shoots out in seconds) means you are likely drinking too much tea, coffee or Red Bull. Slow down and take up meditation and yoga!