Most people use a deodorant, but most of the brands sold in chemists and supermarkets across England are packed with chemicals and aluminium. Although there’s no ‘scientific proof’, do you want these items near your lymph nodes?
Good personal hygiene starts inside out. Natural ways to keep smelling fresh are to drink lots of water to flush out your system, eat nourishing food (cut down on spices if you have issues), shower daily and wear breathable fibres like organic and hemp.
There is a notion that ‘natural deodorants’ don’t work. This was more in the past, when a natural deodorant was a bit of spring water with some essential oils, spritzed to last only a few minutes. In fact, modern natural deodorants work far better than conventional ones. Here are a few of the best plant-based and zero-waste brands:
The Best Natural Deodorants
Avoid essential oils for pregnancy/nursing (don’t use them near pets or children either). Avoid shea butter for latex allergies.
- Purechimp Natural Deodorant Balm is sold in a glass jar, with 5% profits to Save the Chimps, a charity that rescues apes from zoos, circuses and vivisection labs.
- Friendly Soap Lemongrass & Hemp has natural deodorising qualities, and is also antiseptic and antibacterial. Made with plant-based ingredients, this palm-oil-free soap does not dry your skin out and is plastic-free.
- Procoal Natural Deodorant is made with activated charcoal, which is one of the best ingredients to absorb odour in natural deodorants. Sold in plastic-free jars, it features candelilla wax, arrowroot, coconut oil and tea tree oil.
- Elsa’s Deodorant are very gentle, packed in cardboard tubes or metal tins. Made from coconut oil, arrowroot, castor bean oil and shea butter, the natural scents include Lemon Ice, Ocean Creme and Sweet Clementine, alongside a Detox Deodorant.
- Earth Conscious is a brand made on the Isle of Wight. Sold in metal tins, this is based on coconut oil, sunflower wax and arrowroot. This deodorant uses mostly organic ingredients, scented with real essential oils. You can also buy an unscented version for allergies or pregnancy/nursing. Sold in a cream paste, just apply from the tin or cardboard tube. The aluminium lids have a food-safe lacquer.
- Pitt London is a new deodorant in plastic-free packaging and made from plant-based ingredients. A special botanical formulation means it’s suitable for both sexes, and has been crowdfunded. It’s made from arrowroot, calendula oil and shea butter, scented with rosemary and Sicilian lemon.