Switch over to natural nail polish, fory our health and the planet. Did you know that most brands of nail polish contain the same solvents and chemicals as traditional household paint? One woman in the US invented her own brand of kids’ nail polish, after the conventional type burned a hole through a paper plate!Not all women paint their nails, but many women (and some men!) do. There is no need to use toxic nail polish. Just bin securely and switch to natural nail polishes. Obviously the natural option is not to wear, but these are better than most. These brands are far better for you and the planet, and also vegan-friendly (some red and pink brands use dead beetles to give the colour). You’ll also find a natural nail polish remover, free from acetone that damages nails.
If looking for a nail polish, you want to avoid the top chemicals avoided in natural polishes which include formaldehyde, toluene, camphire, DBP, paraben, xylene, ethyl tosylamide and lead. Note that although these are more natural, it’s still best to avoid glitters, as they won’t biodegrade. If you want to use glitter, Zao Top Coat has a natural glitter finish, but is more eco-friendly.
- Zao Nail Polish is packed in bamboo, and offers a French manicure set.
- Zoya offers modern colours like funky blues.
- Kure Bazaar is based on wood pulp, wheat, cotton, potatoes & corn.
- Nailberry offer water-permeable colours, including a Juicy Collection (guava, pomegranate, berry) and cruelty-free base coats.
- Green Destiny Beauty sells vegan water-based polish. Free from odour, apply thinly and dry, before proceeding to daily life.
- Glossworks is free from 9 toxic chemicals, in glass bottles. 24 colours.
Natural Nail Polish Removers
Most nail polish removers contain acetone, a solvent used to make plastic. More natural brands: