PowerPlus is a company that makes quality wind-up and solar radios and torches. Although most have mains back-up, using these enables you to save on batteries. Any store that sells batteries must (by law) take back any batteries (wherever you bought them from) to recycle. This is a good idea, as batteries leak chemicals over time, and are also choking hazards. The range includes:
- Camel Solar Charger uses 3W solar cell with 2W output to charge mobile and other USB devices. It can be attached to a window using provided suction pads, then just connect your device into one of two USB out ports – you can therefore charge up to two devices.
- Stork Solar Radio gives DAB and FM radio stations with high sound quality thanks to the telescopic high-frequency antenna. Solar power can charge a li-ion battery within the radio, or charge from a USB source or batteries. Comes with LED display and alarm.
- Falcon Lantern uses the power of the sun to charge using the solar panels, or you can wind it up. With an LED lifetime of over 50,000 hours (you can replace battery packs without having to recycle the whole lantern), it has a USB-out emergency device charger powerbank, a personal alarm, an LED lantern with 8 bright LEDs and an FM scan radio with headphone socket.
- Lynx Radio is a high performance mobile radio and flashlight. Just wind up or expose to the sun to store the charge and give up to 9 hours of radio on a full charge. Has an USB if no daylight is available.
- Parrot Solar Powered Thermometer is good for indoors or outdoors. The suction cup can be attached to glass or other flat surfaces. Small and compact, it offers a bright display with minimum and maximum temperatures, an an integrated solar cell to extend the battery life.