Plant-based alternatives to honey are made with fruit, agave nectar or brown rice syrup. If you eat real honey, choose brands that don’t smoke out bees after harvest (sometimes kills the Queen – beekeepers may like Flow Hive, which disturbs bee less). Never feed honey to babies, it can cause botulism. Do not give these to pets either.
One bee makes around just 1/12th of a teaspoon of honey in a lifetime.
Use these vegan honeas with yoghurt, pancakes, toast or cereal, or to sweeten black or herbal tea. Some foods (avocados, almonds, melon, kiwi & butternut squash) can use ‘migratory bee-keeping’ which leaves bees to starve, after harvest. Find out more at The Conversation. Read more on how to help at how to save our bees.
- Plant Based Artisan Vegan Honea is made with apples
- Orange Blossom Honea has a fresh woody pine aroma
- Lavender Honea has lemon mint undertones
- Honea Butter is good with sourdough bread or crumpets
- Northern Pantry is made from Cheshire-grown apples
- Citrus Twist Honey features lemon peel & ginger
- Pear Punch Honey has a sweet mellow taste
- Bee Approved is made with brown rice syrup