To make or buy natural fruit juice, is a better idea than buying juice in cartons from supermarkets. Most fruit juice is more water and flavour than juice (Sunny D really did once send a young girl yellow, due to all the colours). And Tropicana (the most popular premium brand) puts fish oil and beef in some of its drinks.
Avoid fresh juice for pregnancy/medical conditions, as it could have bacteria (for others, wash hands properly before prep, cut away damaged areas, wash produce thoroughly under running water and scrub melons/cucumbers with a produce brush, and dry with a clean cloth towel). Most commercial juice is pasteurised, to kill bacteria. Some medicines cannot be used with grapefruit or green juice.
If you wish to buy juice, here are some better brands. You can drink them straight, or water them down, to make a healthier alternative to squash or tastier to plain water. If you buy Tetrapak cartons of juice (or milk), don’t throw them away thinking they can’t be recycled. Councils have now updated and most take them with plastic waste, so check (most also take plastic tops, so don’t throw them if not needed).
- Flawsome! Apple & Strawberry Juice and Orange Juice are made from surplus fruits that would be thrown away, and also gives fair prices to farmers. Both in glass bottles.
- You don’t need an expensive single-gear juicer. You can make juice with a blender (just strain it through a nut milk bag) and use the pulp in muffins etc. You can also use a nut milk bag to make vegan cheese or even to store herbs in, while you simmer foods in a pan.
- James White juices are good, made with organic ingredients and sold in glass bottles. In pear, apple, orange or vegetables (tomato, vegetable or carrot & apple).
- Biona Organic Orange Juice is sold in health stores. It’s made from organic oranges and sold in glass bottles. You can also add a dash or two to smoothies or use in orange-flavoured baked goods.
- Rocks Drinks (Devon) was founded by three dads, and offers organic cordials, and fruit juice concentrates (can be used as natural sweeteners in baking).
- Wobble is a brand in Sussex, with all fruit from traceable sources. In glass bottles, choose from apple, apple pear or apple raspberry. Grown, picked, pressed and bottled on a farm.