Just over the border to Wales we go, to meet some friends just beyond England’s borders. This beautiful country has a far lower population (around 3 million) with likely more sheep than people! Packed with glorious countryside, some of Britain’s highest mountains and wide sandy beaches, the Isle of Angelsey is home to puffins (and a notoriously choppy ferry to take you to the Emerald Isle).
It does have problems with poverty (The Alliance charity was set up by Welsh actor Michael Sheen). And many homeless pets are helped by Bristol animal shelters. Wales has wonderful singers, its own language (similar to Cornish) and a political party Plaid Cymru (led by Adam Price) with policies of green energy, supporting indie shops and animal welfare.
- Wales Coast Path features rugged flora and amazing wildlife, from near Chester up to Isle of Anglesey in North Wales, and the remote Llŷn Peninsula. Read Wild Guide: Wales & The Marches which looks at over 800 wild swims, ancient forests, lost ruins and hidden beaches.
- Patch of the Planet offers beautiful holidays in rural Pembrokeshire from 2021, where you can enjoy a spot of ‘glamping’ or a holiday let. Enjoy stunning peace to enjoy Red Kites flying above willow woodland (taken care of by a couple who run a wildlife-friendly garden design business). The local Blue Stone is the same found at Stonehenge.
- Deep Country is a very unique book by Neil Ansell, who lived alone in a Welsh cottage for 5 years with no transport or phone. Most of us would no go this far, but it’s an interesting read. He did not see a soul for weeks on end, and sometimes the it would ‘rain uphill!’
- Sheep Poo Paper is made from a blend of recycled paper & sheep poo, collected from the valleys – a great way to give Welsh farmers an income, without harm to sheep. Find lovely ‘boneless china mugs’ illustrated with barnyard friends at Greta Loves Mabel.
- Happy Beans is a plant-based recipe book by a Welsh farmer’s wife: Georgian Woodland Mushroom Pasties, Banana & Walnut Loaf with Butterscotch Sauce, Jaffa Cakes & Linguini Mor Gwyrdd (green pasta!) If you live with animals, see foods to keep away from pets.