Just over the border to Scotland we go. The stunning scenery in these chilly regions include mountains and rivers of The Cairngorms with unique alpine moorland home to mountain hares, red deer, whooping swans, visiting geese from Iceland (and free-range reindeer).
No matter what your politics, nobody can deny the difference in how Nicola ’empathy’ Sturgeon and England’s Prime Minister have handled the pandemic. It seems the latter’s behaviour will soon Scotland on its way to independence.
- The Wall is a book about Hadrian’s Wall, the largest historical monument in England that stretches 73 miles from Cumbria up the coast towards Scotland. It’s by Scottish historian Alastair Moffat.
- Blushberry Botanicals offers biodegradable vegan beauty products (the founder studied botany at Aberdeen University). Find hand creams in tins, vegan lip butters & zero waste face masks. Avoid essential oils for pregnancy/nursing (& shea butter for latex allergies).
- Scottish vegans? Och aye. The Scottish Vegan Cookbook offers recipes for Haggis, Neeps, Tatties, Scotch Broth, Cranachan & Pear Ginger Pudding. Live with animals? See foods to keep away from pets.
- Sgaia’s Vegan Meats were developed by two Italian foodies, who live in Scotland. This ‘wheat meat’ looks and tastes like the real thing, you can even order a plant-based meat-box to try them out.
- You’ll be cuckoo about Planet Kuku, once you’ve tasted their plant-based frittata (Italian omelette). Handmade in Edinburgh from fresh veg, herbs, chickpea flour & Scottish rapeseed oil, also in catering sizes.