How to make an affordable Will is something really important to do. If you die intestate (without a Will), some awful relative could inherit your estate. Or worse, it could go to the government, who might use your inheritance to buy weapons, animal testing or wallpaper for their offices.
- Final Wishes is a beautifully designed journal to sort out your affairs. It includes a list of recommended documents and vital information to manage your personal, financial and business affairs with care and consideration including healthcare, funeral and burial plans, medical info, a living will, financial and legal paperwork, provisions for pets, vehicle information, personal property and personal wishes.
- Farewill offers simple individual Wills (or Mirror Wills for couples), all checked legally, before being sent to you for signing. Find two executors (who must not be beneficiaries) to say you of sound mind, before securely storing it somewhere.
- ProperWills offers a simple online Will questionnaire, with all Wills reviewed by their legal team and ready in a few days (insured up to £2m). You also have the option to leave money to take care of your pets. Includes full signing instructions when sent.
- Legal Wills also offers a solicitor-approved online Will writing service. Follow the simple instructions, find help along the way and save hundreds of pounds in solicitor fees, and make unlimited updates.
- Which? offers an online Will writing service. Just complete the questionnaire, return the document and find expert help.
Remember that once your Will is made, you must update it if your circumstances change, such as if you get married, get divorced or if someone dies. If you have any Codicils (add-on wishes like providing money for pets), then keep this with the Will.
Make a Pet Trust
You can’t legally leave money to pets, but you can leave money to others, to provide for them. Cinnamon Trust can often find homes after you die, if you contact them in advance. Same goes for any information like if you have a Dog’s Trust Canine Card (that finds homes for pets, after you die). Remember to include a Codicil with useful information like likes and dislikes, medical information and other important points. Barker Evans has a useful post on how to set up a pet trust.
Power of Attorney
Power of Attorney draws on over 20 years of professional and personal experience to explain all you need to know about power of attorney, a simple document that allows an appointed person to make decisions for us, in the case that we can no longer do so ourselves. But what does it mean to be someone’s attorney? And how can it be set up? This book is designed to offer clear and practical advice for anyone making this decision, or needing to exercise their rights. Learn how to create the legal document, implement it, deal with others and safe guard. The result is an invaluable resource for anyone who deals with Power of Attorney.