Buffalo Sweet Potato Soup (Full of Plants)
How to make a bowl of soup should be simple: nourishing, cheap, easy to make with leftover ingredients. But it’s fairly difficult to find good soup in supermarkets: unless you go for the main brands (which all have milk or cream), most other soups are over-priced, tasteless and watery. So learn how to make soup from scratch, or find better brands in health shops or online.
Check medication inserts, as some foods (including green veggies) are contraindicated. Avoid nuts, seeds and nut/seed butters for young children. Toxic foods to keep away from pets in soup include garlic, onion, scallions, leeks, chives, shallots, grapes, salt, sugar, nutmeg, mushrooms, green tomatoes and raw/green potatoes.
The most popular soups for most people are the comfort ones (creamy tomato, leek & potato, chicken) rather than the spicy soups so often sold these days. Just make your own: fry a chopped carrot with celery, leek or onion in a little rapeseed oil (add spice if wished). Then add veggie stock and chunky veg (like root veggies and potato) and simmer for around 20 minutes, adding quick-cook veg (like spinach) a few minutes at the end. Blend or don’t (depending on preference), then garnish with fresh herbs and pepper, serve with good bread.
- Vegan Soups is a good basic book to teach you the science of making soup, with beautiful illustrated instructions. There are also over 100 recipes including Black-Eyed Bean Chilli Stew, Curried Greens & Coconut Soup and Butternut Noodle Soup.
- Just Wholefoods offers nice organic vegan cup-a-soups, sold in health stores. Choose from tomato basil, leek potato or carrot coriander.
- Suma pea & vegan ham soup is sold in health stores, Co-op supermarket or online. No palm oil, and in a zero waste tin.
- Baxters has just launched plant-based soups: Sri Lankan sweet potato, butternut squash & lentil or Jackfruit three bean chilli
- Tideford Organic Soups are nice but you’ll have to recycle the plastic pots. Flavours include country vegetable, Italian tomato, minestrone (with gluten-free pasta), red lentil & spinach/split pea/nutmeg. There are also seasonal winter greens and winter-spiced parsnip soups.