Don’t make life all about work. Not only is not good for your physical or mental health, but often it can lead to a kind of narcissism, thinking that the world can’t do without you. In truth, you (like any of us) could drop dead tomorrow. And likely someone else could carry on the work you do. Whether you’ve saving lives or inspiring others, mending the roads or creating a dress. Life is not about work in most other cultures, only in the western world.
The worst is Japan, where young people drop dead, from overwork. If you work too much, you then don’t know what to do when you retire. We’ve all heard about the man who works all his life, looking forward to retirement. Then because he’s never had hobbies, within a year or two, he has a heart attack on the lawn.
Learn to balance your life. If you take time out to relax and play, then you will feel more refreshed and inspired when you go back to work. Whether you’re a writer or musician, or even someone who designs houses, taking time out is often the best way to solve the problems that are troubling you.
American author Charlie Hoehn used to be a workaholic. He would work all the time, and indeed did build a successful business. However, at great cost to his health. He was miserable, unhealthy and filled with an impending sense of dread and doom that something awful would happen. He tried everything: pills, yoga, meditation, counselling and the like. And he eventually found the solution to help him relax. It was to stop working so much. Just to take some time out and ‘play’, just like he did as a child. Read his book Play it Away for his life wisdom.
Books to Help You Work Less
- Love It Or Leave It is a guide on how to be happy at work. This book is by a ‘work happiness’ coach, showing you how to be happier at work, or move onto something else. An inspiring book to question your job and find motivation, this book is packed with tips to help you improve your working relationships and boost your sense of worth, or switch to doing something that is more in line with a healthy life balance.
- How to Balance Your Life shows how to achieve inner peace in a busy world, by finding a life and work balance that is right for you. This inspirational book will show you how to maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle and be more mindful of the wider world (and your impact on it), making sure there is enough personal time.
- Be A Free-Range Human is a guide from a mobile freelance entrepreneur, who often works on the beach, or sitting in a hammock. Marianne can show you how to figure out what you want to do with your life, and get started in 90 days (even on a small budget). Create a career that’s tailor-made for you and the life you want.
- Making a Living Without a Job is a guide to self-employment that you love. Learn how to find opportunity in a chaotic economy, why smart and small is the new business model.
- Roadmap: The Get-it-Together Guide to Figure Out What To Do With Your Life is the ultimate book on changing direction mid-career, and not letting your past define your future. With inspirational stories and interviews, journal-like prompts and practical career information, this book is ideal for students and career-changers.