These books to send you off to sleep, are ideal for insomnia. Years ago, people slept well as there was no electricity (so people would hit the sack when it got dark) and no 24-hour TV. Some shift workers have to work at night, but by nature we are larks (not owls). So try to get up early and go to bed early. Also see bedtime stories to help children sleep.
Lack of sleep is not just unhealthy but dangerous. Most car accidents are caused by being tired, and many major disasters (Exxon Valdez oil spill, Space Shuttle Challenger, Chernobyl) were due to over-worked staff. Good sleep also makes for better politics (you can’t make good decisions, when you’re tired). When asked what politicians could do to help, Satish Kumar replied ‘they should sleep more’. In other words, the more they sleep, the less damage they do!
- This Book Will Make You Fall Asleep can send you to sleep, in two shakes of a lamb’s tail. Say hello to Kip, your woolly friend to guide you through this soporific volume: filled with more sheep than you count.
- The Art of Rest is a book on how to find respite, in the modern age. This is based on the largest global survey of rest ever taken, completed by 18,000 people in 135 countries. Rest is different to sleep (how we unwind, calm our minds and recharge our bodies). But how much rest you get, is directly related to how well you sleep. The book counts down the top 10 activities that most people find most restful, these include mindfulness, doing nothing in particular, a nice hot bath, a good walk, listening to music, spending time alone, spending time in nature, and reading.
- Sleep Well: The Mindful Way is a beautiful book of 25 mindfulness practices. Anna Black can change your relationship to sleep and reduce stress, by shining a light to change habitual patterns, to support a self-regulating sleep system.
- Daring to Rest is a book (also audio CD) with a 40-day program to teach you how to get this form of ‘waking sleep’ . Includes teachings, practices and guided meditations. Karen Brody wandered into a Yoga Nidra class just to get some rest, and got the best sleep of her life. So she became a teacher.
- Sleep Rituals includes 100 practices for deep & peaceful sleep. Find sleep-friendly recipes, relaxing yoga poses, calming breathing exercises, soothing meditations and comforting writing exercises.