These books to offer hope in tough times, are ideal when you are feeling like the whole world is against you. Although we have beautiful countryside and gorgeous beaches, sometimes people in cities or even in small towns can feel overwhelmed by the noise and pace of daily life. So calm down, quieten yourself and enjoy one or more of these books, to help pause and hit the ‘reset’ button, for when you can return stronger.
- Everyday Blessings is a book of comfort & hope, compiled by Classic FM presenter Aled Jones (he also was the choirboy voice behind the Christmas film The Snowman). Divided into monthly themes, Aled draws on spiritual wisdom (from ancient times to modern day), to let this beautiful reader help to ground and inspire. Features charming line drawing illustrations.
- Weathering the Storm is a toolkit to work through and learn from feelings like failure, criticism at home or work and grief, to help you cope with whatever life throws at you. In every life there are times of struggle, and then the clouds start to gather and the deluge begins, it can feel impossible to be resilient in the face of the onslaught. But like a tree, build a strong foundation to avoid spiralling downward into despair. Gail Lindenfield gives readers the tools they need to weather the storm, bounce back and let the sunshine in.
- When Life Is Not Peachy is a beautiful book for anyone whose life has taken a difficult turn. If your heart is aching and you’re just about holding it together, it is easy to question everything. Who are you, and how will you keep going? Pip Lincolne has been there too, and is now in your corner to help keep your spirits up. This is a gentle guide to navigating loss, grief and other sad times, for both the downhearted and those supporting loved ones.
- Wintering is a beautifully written book on the power of rest and retreat, in difficult times. Katherine recounts her own year-long journey, sparked by sudden illness in her family that plunged her into a time of uncertainty and seclusion. This beautiful memoir teaches us to draw from the healing powers of the natural world and to embrace the winters of our own lives.
- Firefighter Zen is a field guide to fighting in tough times. While most of us try to walk away from danger, author Hersch Wilson is a firefighter, and spends his life walking towards it. In this unique collection of true stories and practical wisdom, he shares techniques that allow people to stay grounded navigating danger, comforting others and coping with their personal responses to each crisis.