These books to help be a greener tourist are apt, whether you just pop over the channel to Europe, or whether you are a seasoned globetrotter. From flying less to choosing greener planes, to protecting wildlife and eating vegan, here are books to help.
- Easy Tips for the Eco-Friendly Traveller shows how positive change is possible, without radical changes to your everyday life. Sustainable tourism does not mean vowing to never take another flight, or spending holidays camping in your back garden. This short expert guide from eco-travel journalist Juliet Kinsman, takes you through each step of planning your trip – from booking to boarding. From knowing which plane to take (some are greener than others) to avoiding the mini-toiletries trap, this book shows how you can save the planet and still live life to the full. Juliet Kinsman is founder of Bouteco, a curation of boutique hotels that are making a positive change to the world.
- Low-Carbon Europe is a book of 80 sustainable no-fly trips. This inspiring book shows readers how to travel greener, introducing amazing trips from 3 days to 3 weeks in duration, with 100 no-fly itineraries across the continent. Each trip includes carbon counts and travel budgets, and information on how to travel by train, bus, ferry, bicycle, electric or hybrid car. Detailed route maps show each leg of the trip, and you’ll also learn the rules of low carbon travel.
- The Flightless Traveller is a book of 50 adventures by land, river and sea. Discover how to explore our beautiful world sustainably, with this trailblazing guide to flight-free travel. Seeking options that are both enjoyable and kind to the planet, award-winning travel writer Emma Gregg shows you how to get a no-fly holiday off the ground. The book presents inspiration, life-affirming trip ideas for those who would like to fly less, or not at all. Find eco-friendly city breaks, coastal retreats, bike rides, sailing voyages, short jaunts on vintage railways and intercontinental journeys.
- The Sustainable Travel Handbook is a practical and inspiring guide, to motivate travellers to take a responsible approach to the impact of travel. You can use the information in this book to help. The book covers 12 ways to reduce carbon emissions, 6 tips for sustainable wildlife holidays, top 5 green rail journeys, how to choose a responsible tour operator, how to be a responsible travel photographer and how to travel plastic-free.
- The Vegan Travel Handbook shows good places to go: from wildlife-watching in Ethiopia, to meditating in the Taiwanese mountains. You’ll also find cooking classes in India, wine-tasting in Northern Italy, and details of veggie restaurants//hotels worldwide. Includes cities, tours, festivals & food trucks. Download Vegan Passport App (as a pocket book, with pictures if you get stuck). Download free Vanilla Bean App that reviews eateries worldwide.