Biodegradable plant wax candles are safer than paraffin wax candles, as they burn cleaner and soot-free, and spills are easier to clean up. All candles are fire hazards, so avoid use unless you really need or want them, and ensure you follow important safety tips (below). Keep wicks trimmed to 1/4 of an inch. most plant wax candles use cotton wicks. Use real essential oils over artificial fragrance oils (but avoid rosewood oil, as this is from an endangered tree).
Candle Safety Tips
- Keep candles out of reach of children and pets. Air rooms before allowing pets back in, if using scented candles (cats, birds, ferrets & reptiles especially cannot tolerate essential oils). Do not burn citronella (to deter insects) near pets. To deter wasps, use a Waspinator (this paper bag deters other wasps, as it looks like a nest and they are very territorial).
- Place candles on safe base (not near flammable books, clothes, furnishings)
- Extinguish candles (with a snuffer) after use. Invest in a candle care kit, which includes a snuffer, a wick trimmer (for a clean burn) and a wick dipper.
- Never leave burning candles unattended.
- Ensure tea lights hot) are placed in fireproof holders.
- Burn new candles for 2 to 3 hours to prevent a ‘tunnel’.
Where To Find Plant Wax Candles
- Kaskia Unscented Soy Candle is made in London, sold in a glass jar with metal lid, and recycled paper packaging. Also in Rosemary Peppermint, Serenity (lavender, petitgrain, cedarwood) & Manly!
- Goodwash Soy Candle is made with soy wax and oils of lavender, citrus & vegan musk. Presented in a glass jar with metal lid and gift tag, this social enterprise uses profits to help a Welsh homelessness charity.
- Buff Soy Candles are hand-blended in Devon by an aromatherapist, with profits helping marine conservation charities. Sent in a cardboard box, choose from Up (lemon eucalyptus, spearmint, rosemary, cedarwood), Body (cypress, juniper berry, lavender, cedarwood), Nuit (bergamot, ginger, palma rosa, patchouli, sandalwood) or Mama (mandarin, lavender, frankincense).
- Koha Beauty Rose Geranium Soy Candle is made from soy and coconut wax, infused with a floral scent. In a glass jar with metal lid, also in Peppermint.
- Ollie & Co Soy Wax Candles are hand-poured in southwest England, using plant waxes and essential oils. Choose from Silent Night (cinnamon & orange) or Sweet Dreams (lavender & lemongrass).
- Divine & Handmade Organic Coconut Wax Candles are hand-poured in London using organic coconut & soy wax: choose from Unwind or Joy.
- Arya Candles are made by a mother and daughter, in the Suffolk countryside. Profits help charities that empower women in war-torn countries. Arya Travel Candle is sold in a tin (ensure it’s cold, before travel). Choose from Exotic (ylang-ylang, patchouli, neroli), Grapefruit Lime or Rose. Arya Christmas Candles are made with rapeseed oil wax and oils of cedarwood, frankincense and orange.
- ELM RD also sells room diffuser reeds, alongside soy wax candles, made unscented or with real essential oils. They also sell candle care kit that includes a proper candle snuffer, to safely extinguish (fire crews say this is the safest way to put out a candle, rather than just blowing it out).