Made Eco is a set of 4 bamboo toothbrushes
These alternatives to disposable plastic toothbrushes offer better solutions. Dentists tell us to replace our toothbrushes every 3 months, so billions are discarded yearly. Most toothbrushes are also packed in plastic, whereas these are all packed in cardboard or similar zero waste containers.
The most popular type is bamboo, made from a type not eaten by pandas. Keep in a air container, as it doesn’t like water. You can biodegrade the handle but for now (to avoid animal bristles) you’ll have to remove the bristles with pliers and bin, before composting. Brush Naked has launched the first biodegradable bristles (from tapioca and corn, these only last 6 weeks, but do break down properly).
Use these with zero-waste biodegradable toothpastes (free from pet-toxic xylitol, can harm animals even if they lick your mouth or around a sink). Most health stores sell bamboo toothbrushes, and even some supermarkets.
- Nought offers a set with cardboard cases, in a simple Scandinavian design
- Humble Brush is a dentist-designed Swedish toothbrush
- Eco Bru makes nice brushes and a bamboo travel case
- Bambooth makes bamboo toothbrushes for children in fun ‘panda’ boxes
Other Greener Toothbrushes
- Green Tulip Bamboo Interdental Brushes are an ideal alternative to plastic.
- Barnabys Brushes Stainless Steel Toothbrush is made from recycled stainless steel (the handle lasts for life). Just replace with the bamboo head, when done. You can also buy stainless steel brushes from Tooth and
- Be. Brush (a US alternative to an electric toothbrush, just twist the handle to load the spring motor).
- Twig Toothbrush (Denmark) makes a twig from the toothbrush tree in Africa (the roots or branches used apparently leave trees intact. Avoid for children and swallowing problems (Parkinson’s). Just peel off a layer to reveal a frayed part to clean teeth in a circular motion. Slice the twig down until too small to use, then compost the rest. Keep away from water (people say these taste like fresh ginger).
- Brushd Toothbread Heads work with Oral-B electric brushes (use the pre-paid envelope to recycle)
These set of 4 bamboo toothbrushes are made from natural bamboo, to help avoid disposable single-use plastic. The simple Scandinavian design features ergonomically designed handles for comfort, with a unique curve in the neck, and waveform bristles for more effective brushing.
Bamboo is naturally anti-bacterial and these brushes have a smooth carbonised finish, to help repel water. Sealed in easy-to-recycle packaging, change every 3 months or when the bristles become frayed. You can reuse the brush around the house for cleaning, or just remove the bristles with pliers, and compost the bamboo handle.