These all-purpose biodegradable cleaning brands are better than most brands on the market. Gather all your toxic cleaners and securely wrap and bin, and switch to something better. Also see make your own cleaning products, biodegradable bathroom cleaners and how to naturally clean your toilet.
Never mix any cleaner with bleach and avoid essential oils near babies and young children. Read why you should not harm spiders (most will die if put outside) and use humane methods to deter ants, mice etc.
Avoid essential oils and Borax/alternatives near pets (close toilet lids, after cleaning). See toxic houseplants to avoid near pets (plants don’t clean the air, this is a 30-year old myth – just brushing a tail against a lily or sago palm can harm). Avoid using disinfectants near pets (if they walk on floors cleaned with them then lick their paws, Erin Heights Vet Hospital says Dettol destroys bacteria walls) and Veterinary Poisons Information Service says Zoflora can cause ulcers).
- If You Care Fair Trade rubber gloves are lined with natural cotton (use a separate pair for the dishwasher). These are packed in recycled cardboard, with nontoxic glues and vegetable inks. Air-dry and store away from sunlight, avoid use with corrosive substances). Use with biodegradable cleaning cloths.
- Bio-D is sold in recycled plastic bottles, often bulk sizes and refill bottles in health shops and farm shops. There are unscented options including fragrance-free sanitising handwash that neutralises 99.9% of harmful germs. Also makes Floor Cleaner.
- Elmkind Lavender & Tea Tree All-Purpose Cleaner is sold in an aluminium bottle with refill concentrate that makes 5 x 500ml bottles of cleaner. A portion of profits go to animal welfare and ocean clean-up charities. Also makes Sweet Orange Natural Kitchen Cleaner (use Bio-D unscented above, if you live with pets).
- For pet-free homes, use Elmkind Natural Floor Cleaner (buy a recycled rubber rug from Hug at Home (removes mud/dirt as you enter home).
- Delphis Eco is a reputable brand more for commercial and medical use. In recycled plastic bottles, all items are free from phosphates and chemicals that could kill fish, in low low concentrations).
- Greenfrog Botanica Out & About Disinfectant is made with hypochlorous acid (a WHO recognised disinfectant based on seawater that kills 99.9% of germs/viruses). Spray on hard surface, leave for 60 seconds, then wipe with clean damp cloth. You can also use as sanitizer, keeping hands moist for 20 seconds.