A natural pregnancy & childbirth does not always mean not having any help from doctors. The Birth Partner’s Quick Reference Guide & Planner (used by nurses & midwives) still classes a natural birth as one where mothers have gas and air (a ‘normal’ birth simply means no forceps, suction devices or C-section, but these are still sometimes necessary). This warm wise guide covers childbirth & complications, breastfeeding and newborn care. Ask your maternity unit for rates of normal birth in your area.
You don’t need to buy many things to raise a new baby, that’s just the corporate world talking. We are fortunate in England in that we have the NHS, so if you have concerns, you always have a free doctor, midwife or dietitian to talk to, regarding any concerns. If you have not yet conceived, some parents-to-be may consider adoption instead. There are thousands of children waiting for new loving homes. Many people can adopt including people who are single, gay, living in rented accommodation or already have children (disabilities and health conditions don’t rule you out). The most important traits are to be kind and patient (the main exclusions are obviously child abuse or criminal records).
- Nourished Prenatal Nutrients offers a blend of 7 nutrients (including folic acid) to support a healthy pregnancy, sent in compostable packaging. The gummy tastes of mixed fruits and includes folic acid, iron, algae-based vitamin 2, milk thistle and a little ginger (to prevent nausea – don’t take high doses of ginger during pregnancy as it can contract the uterus).
- Your Complete Vegan Pregnancy is by a registered dietitian/professor of nutrition, if you are raising yourself and/or your baby plant-based. Includes tips & 50 simple recipes.
- See the post on where to find organic maternity clothing.
- Donate wedding dresses to Cherished Gowns & Heavenly Gowns. Volunteer seamstresses turn them into free burial gowns, for angel babies.
- Moksa Bump Balm is sold in a glass tub with metal lid. It contains shea butter (not for latex allergies), calendula, rosehip and sea buckthorn, all known for their effectiveness against stretch marks. Also includes mango butter. Gently massage into tummy, can also be used on nipples, breasts and babies’ bums.
- Your Complete Vegan Pregnancy is a book for a healthy plant-based pregnancy. Millions of people now live on plants, but obviously if you are having a child, you have to ensure that both you and your baby get the proper nutrients, both before and after conception and into toddlerhood. Choose palm oil-free vegan butters. See foods to keep away from pets.
- See where to find or make good baby food.