Wiltshire is a large county situated in the southwest of England, one of the first to head into the West Country. It has the main town of Swindon, and is also home to Salisbury. American writer Bill Bryson says that he believes Salisbury Cathedral to be not just the most beautiful building in England, but possibly the world. It’s known for its shimmering light both inside and out, and is thought of as an architectural masterpiece.
Up in the hills, Wiltshire is home to several white horses, calved out of chalk into the countryside. Nobody is quite sure why they were there. Another local mystery is Stonehenge. These blocks of stone are thought to be ancient burial rites, although the mystery is how they got there. The local councils have had to stop parties to celebrate the Solstice, as too much litter was being left. Wiltshire is also home to England’s longest avenue: a beautiful beech-tree lined road that is 3 miles long.
Local Food in Wiltshire
- Coleshill Organics delivers fresh fruits and veggies from a local farm. Choose from over 80 varieties and pick up from a local collection point or get the boxes delivered. Sign up long-term and get a free box. Choose from weekly, fortnightly or monthly.
- Purton House Organics is a family-run box scheme that delivers to Swindon, Marlborough and Cirencester areas, along with having a farm shop that sells wholesale to pubs. Sometimes they have over 150 types of veggies to choose from, including green beans and knobbly artichokes!
Local Money in Wiltshire
- Wiltshire & Swindon Credit Union is a nonprofit bank, owned by and for local people. You can bank via a number of community points around the county, and they also offer a Junior Account for young savers.
- Coventry Building Society is an alternative to the big banks for local people. With over 1 million members, it has very low running costs and gives back, especially to local schools and the British Legion.
Animal Rescue in Wiltshire
- There are so many animal shelters in England, it’s not possible to list them all on this little site. So many innocent animals need loving homes. Some local shelters are Saving Needy Dogs, Cat Rescue Chippenham, Hungary Hearts Dog Rescue
- If you find injured wildlife, most vets can help. But you are likely to find more expertise from a local wildlife rescue. Ones in Wiltshire include Wiltshire Wildlife Hospital and Oak & Furrows Wildlife Rescue Centre, Goathill Animal Sanctuary and Old Farm Sanctuary (rescues hedgehogs, garden birds and birds of prey). You can search by location (and species) for a more extensive list at Help Wildlife.
Guide to Wiltshire Pub Walks is a book of 20 circular pub walks in the Wiltshire countryside. Each one includes a country pub, and places of interest nearby.