These tips for greener colleges & universities are ideal to help students and professors. Colleges and universities across England are in prime position to help reduce climate change. The large campuses means that ideas like solar panels pay for themselves, within a short time. Top green universities are Bristol and Manchester, both have installed lots of ground-breaking eco-friendly ideas. Green Impact is a branch of National Union of Students, focused on sustainability at university. Download the free toolkit, to find tasks to complete.
While Oxbridge (Oxford and Cambridge) is often quoted as top elite, they are near the bottom for sustainability (both have appalling records on animal welfare research, with Oxford having its own charity of boffins VERO to campaign for humane research).
- Stuff Students Should Know is a handy little book on how to make a healthy meal, plan a weekly budget, proofread an essay, write a CV, plan a revision timetable, negotiate a starting salary and arm you with skills for the real world.
- Student Hacks is a book of 130 hints, to make university life easier. This illustrated manual solves all your dilemma: from how to make your student loan stretch further to making revision easier. Whether you’re fresh-faced student or a seasoned student, this trusty guide will life easier and more fun. Listen to lectures in half the time, and stop beer bottles toppling over in the fridge!
- Cyclehoop makes award-winning cycling parking spaces, which can fit more cycles into one place. Their Cycle Parking Rentals Scheme is used by councils nationwide, with items sold in 16 countries.
- Co-Wheels is a non-profit car-sharing club, which rents cars out by the hour, to save on wasted journeys and parking congestion. It offers services for public companies and university campuses.
Recipe Books for College Students
If you live with furry friends, see toxic foods to avoid near pets.
- The Plant-Based College Cookbook includes 175 recipes for campus, with helpful advice on kitchen basics. Recipes include Creamy Carrot Smoothie, Spinach Artichoke Dip, Peanut Butter Cups and Banana-Chocolate Chip Muffin.
- Liv B’s Vegan On A Budget is a gorgeous book packed with simple affordable meal. Make Green Smoothie, Lasagna Soup, Ginger-Glazed Carrots, Sweet Sriracha Cauliflower Wraps, Buffalo Chickpea Wraps, Deep-Dish Apple Pie with Caramel Sauce, No-Bake Brownie Bites and Marble Freezer Fudge.
- The College Vegan Cookbook contains 140 modern wholefood recipes made with affordable Heather is a holistic nutritionist who can make your budget for further, using simple kitchen equipment. Recipes include Blueberry Oat Muffins, Ramen Noodle Bowls, Barbecue Cauliflower Wings and Brownie Mug Cakes.
Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea. Are excellent schoolmasters. Teach us more than we can learn from books. John Lubbock